Friday, April 23, 2010

4 months and counting....

Well, the last month has been interesting. I have dove head first (metaphorically and physically) into my training program. Signed up for an exercise class at the rec center. Called 'Total Body Express'-it should be called Modern Day Techniques of the Marquis de Sade. Jennifer, our instructor, thinks it's funny when people moan in pain. I think I am the oldest one in class, and it is quite depressing to see perky everythings when I am gasping for breath, and red in the face. (Did I mention I am not attractive when I exercise? I look like I am on the verge of coronary failure.) However, the class has done more for me than what I could've done on my own. It has pushed me beyond my comfort level, and kicked my ass. (which is a little smaller-down 10 pounds)
I attended my daughter's bachelorette party, where a pole dancing class was part of the evening's festivities, and had I not been working out the last month, I doubt I could have held on to the pole- let me tell you, pole dancing is a great work out! If there were classes available here, I would sign up. Wonder if the gentleman's club near my house would give private lessons?
I also took my first swim lesson- I haven't taken a lesson since age 10, and haven't been in a pool for about , oh, 15 years, and then it was just to splash. My techniques leaves a lot to be desired- I drank alot of the pool, and then had to think about the levels of urine and other disgusting secretions in the pool.
The day I had my lesson there were 5 year old beginners in one lane beside me, and on the other side, the high school girl's swim team. I felt inadequate on both sides....Did I mention I ran into the pool wall with my head?
Finally, I had my first meeting with a personal trainer. (when I go, I go full in!) Sara is very excited I am training for a triathlon-we'll see how she feels after meeting with me several times. She walked me through the weight machines to work out a schedule-that was 2 weeks ago, and I haven't been on the machines since. It just seems that the class is kicking my butt enough, but I know I need to start doubling up. With my wacky work schedule, (16 hour days) I can't work out every day.
The next week will be dicey-we head to Lawrence for my daughter's wedding, but will take work out clothes and try and hit the streets a couple of times.
Overall, I still am very excited about the tri. I signed up for a 5k run next weekend-that should keep me humble...and I will keep plugging along.

No comments:

Post a Comment